Fire in Oil City Sends Family of Five to Hospital

| January 22, 2019

OIL CITY, Pa. (EYT) – A family of five was transported to UPMC Northwest for treatment following a fire Monday morning in Oil City.

According to a representative of Venango County Emergency Management, the 9-1-1 call came in around 8:35 a.m. on Monday, January 21, for a fire at 216 Butternut Alley.

Oil City Fire Department, Oil City Police, and Community Ambulance Service were dispatched to the scene.

According to Oil City Fire Chief Mark Hicks, the fire was discovered by two of the children, a two-year-old and a three-year-old, who saw the flames and began screaming, waking their parents.

Hicks said the fire was unintentional and was caused by items left too close to a space heater.

Hicks also noted that although there were two smoke detectors in the house, one on the first floor and one in the basement, neither of them were operational.

“Everyone should make sure to have at least one working smoke detector in their home,” Hicks said.

By the time the fire department arrived at the home, the fire had already been extinguished by one of the residents, using a bucket of water.

Hicks said his department made sure the fire, which was still smoldering, was completely extinguished and set up a fan to vent smoke from the home.

According to Hicks, the fire only caused minor damage, leaving the house livable, though the Red Cross was contacted to assist the family with clothing and blankets.

The five family members, including two adults and three children, were able to evacuate the house safely. They were transported to UPMC Northwest for treatment of smoke inhalation.

The scene was cleared around 9:22 a.m.


Copyright © 2019 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.

Tags:

Category: Local News, News, Police & Fire Calls